Founded in 1826, the Benriness distillery was destroyed by a flood in 1829. After being rebuilt the same year just a few miles away, it was then ravaged by fire in 1896. Entirely rebuilt in 1956, in 1966 it tripled its production capacity, moving from two to six stills. Up until 2007, it was one of the few distilleries in Scotland to practice triple distillation. Flirting with peat on the finish, this version reveals Benrinnes in a slightly unusual light. Overflowing with naturalness and vitality, it favours acts over long speeches in order to achieve its goal of reproducing as best possible the “old style” character of an intensely malty palette of flavours and aromas delivered directly and without frills.
the powerful first nose is medicinal (mustard poultice) and extremely malty. With time, abundant fruits appear (Mirabelle plum, pear, lemon), as well as lavender honey and florals (mimosa). Allowed to breathe, strong spices (clove, nutmeg) lead the aromatic palette to balsamic lands (cedar).